Three Houses
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Three Houses

the unofficial forum for British punk rock band SHARKS (2007-13) & its successors (THE VIOLENT HEARTS, 2014- & THEIR LONELY BETTERS, 2014-)

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» new The Violent Hearts line-up and gig, The Sunflower Lounge, Birmingham, 3/3/17
How big a band are Sharks? Icon_minitimeby museums Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:23 am

» The Computers
How big a band are Sharks? Icon_minitimeby museums Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:19 am

» new music from James Mattock: The Violent Hearts
How big a band are Sharks? Icon_minitimeby Fallen On Deaf Ears Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:00 am

» The Penalty EP - vinyl
How big a band are Sharks? Icon_minitimeby museums Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:07 pm

» Their Lonely Betters
How big a band are Sharks? Icon_minitimeby gloveinhand Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:23 pm

» Starting Out! Looking for Anything and Everything.
How big a band are Sharks? Icon_minitimeby museums Thu May 22, 2014 8:37 am

» The Penalty (lyrics)
How big a band are Sharks? Icon_minitimeby Admin Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:51 am

» Sharks t-shirt on cover of Jennifer Rostock's 'Schlaflos'
How big a band are Sharks? Icon_minitimeby museums Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:57 pm

» Sharks call it a day
How big a band are Sharks? Icon_minitimeby PJayBe Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:53 pm

» Looking to complete my collection...(HELP)
How big a band are Sharks? Icon_minitimeby orwellaintdead Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:29 pm

» looking for..
How big a band are Sharks? Icon_minitimeby orwellaintdead Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:47 pm

» Dream Setlist?
How big a band are Sharks? Icon_minitimeby orwellaintdead Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:07 pm

How big a band are Sharks?

Go down 
+5
gloveinhand
Jagveer ///
EF
moreblue
museums
9 posters
AuthorMessage
museums
It All Relates
It All Relates
museums

How big a band are Sharks? Empty
PostSubject: How big a band are Sharks?   How big a band are Sharks? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 1:10 pm

When I heard that Sharks were supporting Tribes this spring, although Tribes have only got a debut album out as well and none of the history of Sharks, I wondered how big a band Sharks are.

Maybe the easiest way to look at this is by way of the number of Facebook likes, so here is a comparison using related bands:

The Clash 2,279,738

Social Distortion 714,859

The Gaslight Anthem 155,410

Gallows 100,981

Tribes 15,672

Sharks 13,891

Great Cynics 1,406

As for the Tribes and Sharks comparison, I assume most of Sharks' 'likes' are actually from North America, and that Tribes' are from the UK.

Back to top Go down
museums
It All Relates
It All Relates
museums

PostSubject: Re: How big a band are Sharks?   How big a band are Sharks? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 10:36 am

museums wrote:
When I heard that Sharks were supporting Tribes this spring, although Tribes have only got a debut album out as well and none of the history of Sharks, I wondered how big a band Sharks are.

Maybe the easiest way to look at this is by way of the number of Facebook likes, so here is a comparison using related bands:

The Clash 2,279,738

Social Distortion 714,859

The Gaslight Anthem 155,410

Gallows 100,981

Tribes 15,672

Sharks 13,891

Great Cynics 1,406

As for the Tribes and Sharks comparison, I assume most of Sharks' 'likes' are actually from North America, and that Tribes' are from the UK.

FB 'likes' as of today

Tribes 19,811 (i.e. + 4,139)

Sharks 16,008 (i.e. + 2,117)

I'm just trying to judge what impact 'No Gods' has had and, to be honest, even looking at their Wikipedia page hits, it has been modest, despite the great reviews; why do people listen to so much rubbish instead?
Back to top Go down
moreblue
It All Relates
It All Relates
moreblue

PostSubject: Re: How big a band are Sharks?   How big a band are Sharks? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 11:16 am

People are so thick aren't they (just look at the current petrol situation).

The general public won't wake up to Sharks until someone from Radio 1 gets paid to do a voiceover on one of those annoying TV adverts saying"you need this album in your life" during a commercial break for X Factor or a mind numbing reality show. But more likely Patient Spider will get a lot of summer airplay and then the music zombies will start taking notice at last.

Tribes are just about ok / slightly good but really don't have ANYTHING like the amount of conviction or quality of songs that Sharks have so I really can't understand why they're a bigger band than Sharks. I guess it's got more to do with one of the Tribes guys are dating someone famous (I forget who) so they get covered in the gossip blogs / magazines. Tribes are just this years Vaccines (in my opinion)... pretty average festival fodder.
Back to top Go down
EF
Trains
Trains
EF

PostSubject: Re: How big a band are Sharks?   How big a band are Sharks? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 11:28 am

To be honest I quite like it how not many people know who Sharks are.
Back to top Go down
http://it-all-relates.tumblr.com/
moreblue
It All Relates
It All Relates
moreblue

PostSubject: Re: How big a band are Sharks?   How big a band are Sharks? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 11:32 am

EF wrote:

Yeah I kind of do too. Like a cool secret that not many people know about. They do deserve to be bigger though.
I see them getting kind of Gaslight Anthem big in the next year or two. Which is a really nice size / audience .
It's awesome seeing Sharks at small shows still. Like when they play hometown shows with no security or barrier.
Back to top Go down
Jagveer ///
It All Relates
It All Relates
Jagveer ///

PostSubject: Re: How big a band are Sharks?   How big a band are Sharks? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 3:28 pm

moreblue wrote:
EF wrote:

Yeah I kind of do too. Like a cool secret that not many people know about. They do deserve to be bigger though.
I see them getting kind of Gaslight Anthem big in the next year or two. Which is a really nice size / audience .
It's awesome seeing Sharks at small shows still. Like when they play hometown shows with no security or barrier.

I agree with this, it's like "our little thing". I definitely don't want them to stay a small small band though, A "big small" audience like Gaslight's would be awesome for them.

...Well it would be for me, anyway!
Back to top Go down
gloveinhand
Site Admin
Site Admin
gloveinhand

PostSubject: Re: How big a band are Sharks?   How big a band are Sharks? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 15, 2012 10:12 pm

Sharks now have 17,261 likes on facebook, so thats almost 4000 likes in 2 months..not bad!
Back to top Go down
http://davidxstanley.tumblr.com
museums
It All Relates
It All Relates
museums

PostSubject: Re: How big a band are Sharks?   How big a band are Sharks? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2012 5:58 pm

gloveinhand wrote:
Sharks now have 17,261 likes on facebook, so thats almost 4000 likes in 2 months..not bad!

Just for the usual comparison though, Tribes gained 5755 over the same period (they now have 21,427).

And I do wish the new album had gained us a few more forum members.

Frankly, that 'No Gods' didn't make the charts is a scandal.

Back to top Go down
Fallen On Deaf Ears
It All Relates
It All Relates
Fallen On Deaf Ears

PostSubject: Re: How big a band are Sharks?   How big a band are Sharks? Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Quote :

Maybe we could get more people if we added 'other bands' and 'general discussion' to the forum categories? At least I would get more involved, it's not everyday you have something new to say about Sharks.
Back to top Go down
http://fuckyeahsharksband.tumblr.com/
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: How big a band are Sharks?   How big a band are Sharks? Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 8:00 pm

Fallen On Deaf Ears wrote:
Quote :

Maybe we could get more people if we added 'other bands' and 'general discussion' to the forum categories? At least I would get more involved, it's not everyday you have something new to say about Sharks.

Good idea. Done!
Back to top Go down
https://sharks.forumotion.com
Chappers_8
Trains
Trains
Chappers_8

PostSubject: Re: How big a band are Sharks?   How big a band are Sharks? Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2012 12:23 pm

Can't believe how people aren't getting into Sharks. I have never listened to an album as much in such a short space of time as I have with No Gods
Back to top Go down
Chappers_8
Trains
Trains
Chappers_8

PostSubject: Re: How big a band are Sharks?   How big a band are Sharks? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 9:33 am

Sharks now up to 19,523 on FB
Back to top Go down
moreblue
It All Relates
It All Relates
moreblue

PostSubject: Re: How big a band are Sharks?   How big a band are Sharks? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2013 12:36 pm

Sharks now at 21,948 on Facebook
Back to top Go down
orwellaintdead
It All Relates
It All Relates
orwellaintdead

PostSubject: Re: How big a band are Sharks?   How big a band are Sharks? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 9:05 am

They'll probably be one of those bands who'll never be big but people will look back to in 30 years or so and say they changed/shaped music/influenced lots of future bands. I hope.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How big a band are Sharks?   How big a band are Sharks? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How big a band are Sharks?
Page 1 of 1