Three Houses
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Three Houses

the unofficial forum for British punk rock band SHARKS (2007-13) & its successors (THE VIOLENT HEARTS, 2014- & THEIR LONELY BETTERS, 2014-)

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» new The Violent Hearts line-up and gig, The Sunflower Lounge, Birmingham, 3/3/17
Sharks call it a day Icon_minitimeby museums Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:23 am

» The Computers
Sharks call it a day Icon_minitimeby museums Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:19 am

» new music from James Mattock: The Violent Hearts
Sharks call it a day Icon_minitimeby Fallen On Deaf Ears Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:00 am

» The Penalty EP - vinyl
Sharks call it a day Icon_minitimeby museums Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:07 pm

» Their Lonely Betters
Sharks call it a day Icon_minitimeby gloveinhand Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:23 pm

» Starting Out! Looking for Anything and Everything.
Sharks call it a day Icon_minitimeby museums Thu May 22, 2014 8:37 am

» The Penalty (lyrics)
Sharks call it a day Icon_minitimeby Admin Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:51 am

» Sharks t-shirt on cover of Jennifer Rostock's 'Schlaflos'
Sharks call it a day Icon_minitimeby museums Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:57 pm

» Sharks call it a day
Sharks call it a day Icon_minitimeby PJayBe Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:53 pm

» Looking to complete my collection...(HELP)
Sharks call it a day Icon_minitimeby orwellaintdead Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:29 pm

» looking for..
Sharks call it a day Icon_minitimeby orwellaintdead Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:47 pm

» Dream Setlist?
Sharks call it a day Icon_minitimeby orwellaintdead Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:07 pm

Sharks call it a day

Go down 
+8
Iconoclast
Christophe
Jagveer ///
Diggin' The New
moreblue
orwellaintdead
Fallen On Deaf Ears
Admin
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Admin

Sharks call it a day Empty
PostSubject: Sharks call it a day   Sharks call it a day Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2013 2:47 pm

from Facebook (posted 4 July 2013, c.15.45h):

SHARKS

To all our fans,

We're sorry to announce that the four of us have decided to end our journey as Sharks.

Unfortunately all of our upcoming dates have been cancelled and we have no plans as of yet to play any final shows. We sincerely apologise to anyone who has bought tickets or were planning to buy tickets to any of these shows. On a positive note, we have just finished making a brand new music video for 'Gold' with our good friend Tom Lacey, which we'll be releasing for all of you in the coming weeks. We will also be holding a sale on all of the remaining Sharks shirts we have available, none of which will be re-printed.

We want to thank all of you for the incredible support you've given us over the last six years. We've been lucky enough to take Sharks all over the world and befriend many wonderful people along the way. It's given us so much joy to share our music with you. So with this farewell, we leave you with three records of which we are immensely proud of—The Joys of Living 2008-2010, No Gods, and Selfhood—which we hope you'll continue to enjoy long into the future.

We would also like to send a special thanks to our close friends and family and the great team of people we've had the pleasure of working with over the years -- Oliver Mitchell, Ross Warnock, Matthew Gordner and everyone at Rise Records, Ben Husted and Raw Power Management, Andy Somers and The Agency Group, BB Gun Press, Coffeebreath & Heartache, Vinyl Junkie and Swagger City Records.

Thank you, friends!

James, Andrew, Sam and Carl xxxx

Last edited by Admin on Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://sharks.forumotion.com
Fallen On Deaf Ears
It All Relates
It All Relates
Fallen On Deaf Ears

PostSubject: Re: Sharks call it a day   Sharks call it a day Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2013 2:55 pm

NOOOOOO! Sad 
Back to top Go down
http://fuckyeahsharksband.tumblr.com/
orwellaintdead
It All Relates
It All Relates
orwellaintdead

PostSubject: Re: Sharks call it a day   Sharks call it a day Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2013 3:05 pm

absolutely gutted about this Crying or Very sad the 4 times I saw them is not enough Crying or Very sad but taking into account the poor attendance of the recent headline tour, I'm not *that* surprised Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
moreblue
It All Relates
It All Relates
moreblue

PostSubject: Re: Sharks call it a day   Sharks call it a day Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2013 3:14 pm

Beyond gutted!!!

Sharks are one of my all time favourite bands (as I'm sure they are for most other members of this forum).

Makes me really sad to think I might never hear another new song with Andy's amazing guitar work with James' distinctive voice and great lyrics backed up by the great rhythm section of Carl and Sam.

They had sooooo much potential to get like Cribs big... or Gaslight Anthem big if they stuck at it a bit longer for another album or so.

///

Last edited by moreblue on Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Diggin' The New
Trains
Trains
Diggin' The New

PostSubject: I'd like to thank whoever removed ...the fat lady sings posts   Sharks call it a day Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2013 3:49 pm

I'd like to thank whoever removed ...the fat lady sings posts....just because you don't like it doesn't mean you can censor it.....you can call it what you want but it ain't punk rock

[Admin comment: now that it has been announced officially that Sharks have disbanded, the thread in which you hinted at this news a few days ago has simply become redundant]
Back to top Go down
Jagveer ///
It All Relates
It All Relates
Jagveer ///

PostSubject: Re: Sharks call it a day   Sharks call it a day Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2013 4:31 pm

Such sad news :(I suppose they just weren't making the progress they wanted to by this point. Whatever the case is, I hope the best for everyone involved in the Sharks family!

Diggin' The New wrote:
I'd like to thank whoever removed ...the fat lady sings posts....just because you don't like it doesn't mean you can censor it.....you can call it what you want but it ain't punk rock

Had you worded your post a little differently, we may not have reacted the way we did.
Back to top Go down
orwellaintdead
It All Relates
It All Relates
orwellaintdead

PostSubject: Re: Sharks call it a day   Sharks call it a day Icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2013 8:08 am

So glad I got to hear Trains live in May
Back to top Go down
Christophe
Trains
Trains

PostSubject: Re: Sharks call it a day   Sharks call it a day Icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2013 11:39 pm

Just listened to Sons and Daughters for the first time. Fuck I'm going to miss these guys.
Back to top Go down
Iconoclast
Trains
Trains
Iconoclast

PostSubject: Re: Sharks call it a day   Sharks call it a day Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 10:00 am

Diggin' The New wrote:

R U A H8R?

OT:

Do you think this has to do with the lack of publicity the band had after 6 years? I really hope it's just a name change (and a different, perhaps, more popular sound) or, at least, they keep making music in various projects.

The Joys of Living, No Gods and Selfhood...Sad 3 superb albums to leave behind.
Back to top Go down
orwellaintdead
It All Relates
It All Relates
orwellaintdead

PostSubject: Re: Sharks call it a day   Sharks call it a day Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 1:17 pm

I think it's likely it is lack of publicity. On the recent uk tour I think most of the shows weren't very well attended. Even the London show was barely half full.
Back to top Go down
Christophe
Trains
Trains

PostSubject: Re: Sharks call it a day   Sharks call it a day Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 2:33 pm

I just listened to No Gods all the way through for the first time in a while and cannot believe that a band with such quality musically and lyrically have had to give it up.

How a major label could listen to a song like Patient Spider and not snap them up immediately is beyond me. Or not even a major label for example a band like The 1975 are huge already and their debut isn't even out yet and they are signed to indie label Dirty Hit. (I know The 1975 are not an overnight success and they have been a band for 10 years, even so Sharks deserve equal acclaim if not more so in my opinion after 6+ years of writing and playing music).

I find it strange the complete lack of promotion and publicity Sharks had for Selfhood. Before No Gods came out they had great backing from Zane Lowe and Fearne Cotton on their shows with Arcane Effigies (Patient Spider got a few plays on Radio 1 too). Zane Lowe had been championing them since It All Relates was released a few years ago. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I never heard anything from Zane Lowe or anyone else at Radio 1 to promote Selfhood and help Sharks up the ladder a little further. I think their only radio play came on the Radio 1 Punk Show which is hardly a prime time slot. I don't get how it seems just a year on from a phenomenal debut and Radio 1 presenters bigging them up they seemed to have just forgotten about them or lost interest in the band.

I'm not saying Radio 1 is only to blame. It seems to me anyway that Rise haven't done much to help promote the band and Selfhood either. I couldn't believe after such a successful No Gods tour the dreadful turn out at many of the UK shows on the Selfhood tour. I saw them in York and there was literally no more than 25 people there. It seemed pretty clear to me throughout the gig that James was pissed off (and I'm not surprised to be honest).

I think in the end the guys just got frustrated with treading water even though they know (and we know) that they have a lot of talent, so many people couldn't see it. I just wish they had tried to get a deal with another record company and gave it one last go before packing in. I have no idea what is in store for the four of them now but I would love to see them continue with other projects. It will be interesting to see what they do after Sharks because the writing partnership of James and Andy was what really made the songs. I really hope they can continue to write material together.

One thing is for sure all of the guys are WAY too talented to stop playing/writing music completely. I really hope we haven't seen the last of them.
Back to top Go down
Jagveer ///
It All Relates
It All Relates
Jagveer ///

PostSubject: Re: Sharks call it a day   Sharks call it a day Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 3:46 pm

Christophe wrote:

I think in the end the guys just got frustrated with treading water even though they know (and we know) that they have a lot of talent, so many people couldn't see it. I just wish they had tried to get a deal with another record company and gave it one last go before packing in.  

Absolutely, I was hoping for Selfhood to be a big stepping stone (in terms of publicity/popularity) but it hasn't worked out that way at all. Must me too exhausting and expensive to carry on when that's the case, so it's probably the best decision at this time.
Back to top Go down
JipC
Trains
Trains

PostSubject: Re: Sharks call it a day   Sharks call it a day Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 7:55 pm

Christophe wrote:
It seems to me anyway that Rise haven't done much to help promote the band and Selfhood either.

I sometimes feel that having label representation in another country is a big problem in these cases. Although they did some great tours and big shows in the US, they're from and live in the UK which is where their main audiance is. I don't understand why they didn't have a label deal in the UK that they could work with. Maybe im wrong, but i think when you're on a label in another country you're not going to get as much attention from label as their homegrown bands. Thats not to say that Rise did a poor job promoting them as a band or each release, but maybe they should have had a label in UK too. Maybe Rise wanted exclusivity and they got left on the back burner.

Just my two cents.

Or they thought they'd had enough and it was time to start afresh with a new kick ass band thats going to blow our socks off.

I hope its the latter. I will always listen to the songs Sharks recorded over the years with a great big smile on my face and njoy every second, every time. Thanks fellas.
Back to top Go down
museums
It All Relates
It All Relates
museums

PostSubject: Re: Sharks call it a day   Sharks call it a day Icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2013 9:28 am

I'm as shocked and disappointed by this as you guys, having followed Sharks since I first saw them with the Gaslight Anthem in 2010.

While I don't want to speculate on what caused this, I do want to pick up on one point. Is Sharks' biggest fan base really in the UK? Might it not actually be in the US? Would another US tour as a support act, following Selfhood's release, have had more impact?

And for the record, though sometimes I'm wary of admitting it, I'm 47 and I've heard a lot of music in my time, and I can honestly say that Sharks have made three of the most enjoyable records I have heard.
Back to top Go down
Iconoclast
Trains
Trains
Iconoclast

PostSubject: Re: Sharks call it a day   Sharks call it a day Icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 12:01 pm

I'm reading a few articles and, while I will admit it's totally just rumours and unsubstantiated, apparently their manager wasn't a nice person.

There may be no credibility to that, but it's just what I heard...
Back to top Go down
museums
It All Relates
It All Relates
museums

PostSubject: Re: Sharks call it a day   Sharks call it a day Icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2013 8:29 am

Iconoclast wrote:
I'm reading a few articles and, while I will admit it's totally just rumours and unsubstantiated, apparently their manager wasn't a nice person.

There may be no credibility to that, but it's just what I heard...

what articles? links or quotes?
Back to top Go down
Iconoclast
Trains
Trains
Iconoclast

PostSubject: Re: Sharks call it a day   Sharks call it a day Icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2013 4:06 pm

It was less the articles and more like the comments section of them... yeah... Embarassed

strangers on the internet wrote:
Mysterious? The manager owns that band & if he don't like them, they go. I spoke to people on revival & they told me stuff

more, unreliable strangers on the internet wrote:
the manager said he'd quit unless they got rid of one of the guys

I should also say that this is from a website of punks who hate anything outside of the punk genre and most of whom, disgustingly, openly dislike sharks.
Back to top Go down
ivans
Trains
Trains
ivans

PostSubject: Re: Sharks call it a day   Sharks call it a day Icon_minitimeTue Oct 22, 2013 11:54 pm

i miss u sharks / / /
Back to top Go down
orwellaintdead
It All Relates
It All Relates
orwellaintdead

PostSubject: Re: Sharks call it a day   Sharks call it a day Icon_minitimeSun Oct 27, 2013 5:45 pm

can we maybe try and get a farewell hometown show for Christmas? Of course I realise the guys may not want to, but it would be beautiful to give them a proper goodbye, as opposed to that terribly attended final tour. Songkick detour doesn't do Leamington, but maybe we can get some sort of online petition going? Idk. I just WANT to see these guys play ONE MORE TIME SO BADLY. Is anyone with me and have any ideas they'd like to contribute? I really think we can help make this happen.
Back to top Go down
orwellaintdead
It All Relates
It All Relates
orwellaintdead

PostSubject: Re: Sharks call it a day   Sharks call it a day Icon_minitimeSun Oct 27, 2013 5:47 pm

it actually breaks my heart to think that tour was their final goodbye
Back to top Go down
PJayBe
Trains
Trains

PostSubject: Re: Sharks call it a day   Sharks call it a day Icon_minitimeSun Dec 22, 2013 8:53 pm

BUGGER!!!! I turn up to see what's going on, and get this. Only saw the band twice, both time as supports to The Gaslight Anthem, but really enjoyed what I saw.

Ah well,
the albums will have to do now I suppose.

Philip
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sharks call it a day   Sharks call it a day Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sharks call it a day
Page 1 of 1