Three Houses
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Three Houses

the unofficial forum for British punk rock band SHARKS (2007-13) & its successors (THE VIOLENT HEARTS, 2014- & THEIR LONELY BETTERS, 2014-)

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» new The Violent Hearts line-up and gig, The Sunflower Lounge, Birmingham, 3/3/17
'Selfhood' (your reviews/comments/reactions) Icon_minitimeby museums Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:23 am

» The Computers
'Selfhood' (your reviews/comments/reactions) Icon_minitimeby museums Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:19 am

» new music from James Mattock: The Violent Hearts
'Selfhood' (your reviews/comments/reactions) Icon_minitimeby Fallen On Deaf Ears Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:00 am

» The Penalty EP - vinyl
'Selfhood' (your reviews/comments/reactions) Icon_minitimeby museums Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:07 pm

» Their Lonely Betters
'Selfhood' (your reviews/comments/reactions) Icon_minitimeby gloveinhand Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:23 pm

» Starting Out! Looking for Anything and Everything.
'Selfhood' (your reviews/comments/reactions) Icon_minitimeby museums Thu May 22, 2014 8:37 am

» The Penalty (lyrics)
'Selfhood' (your reviews/comments/reactions) Icon_minitimeby Admin Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:51 am

» Sharks t-shirt on cover of Jennifer Rostock's 'Schlaflos'
'Selfhood' (your reviews/comments/reactions) Icon_minitimeby museums Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:57 pm

» Sharks call it a day
'Selfhood' (your reviews/comments/reactions) Icon_minitimeby PJayBe Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:53 pm

» Looking to complete my collection...(HELP)
'Selfhood' (your reviews/comments/reactions) Icon_minitimeby orwellaintdead Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:29 pm

» looking for..
'Selfhood' (your reviews/comments/reactions) Icon_minitimeby orwellaintdead Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:47 pm

» Dream Setlist?
'Selfhood' (your reviews/comments/reactions) Icon_minitimeby orwellaintdead Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:07 pm

'Selfhood' (your reviews/comments/reactions)

Go down 
+4
museums
Christophe
Jagveer ///
mattlee345
8 posters
AuthorMessage
mattlee345
Trains
Trains

'Selfhood' (your reviews/comments/reactions) Empty
PostSubject: 'Selfhood' (your reviews/comments/reactions)   'Selfhood' (your reviews/comments/reactions) Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 9:52 am

Selfhood - 2/10

I really didn't know where to post this, whether on the Facebook group, or the bands Twitter feed, then I realised the people that will probably be most interested are you guys on here.

So basically, I've just listened to the Selfhood stream from the RockSound Website and I have to say I am overwhelmingly disappointed with this record, in fact, as far as Sharks records go, I think it's absolutely bloody hopeless.

For a band that I have seen live on countless occasions, having closely followed their rise since The Joys of Living release, I find this really disappointing. Much of Selfhood sounds as if it wouldn't seem out of place on a Fall Out Boy record, or any other useless punk rock band who have an aged 12-17 following and which I fear Sharks may have now given way to become.

Mattock said about the writing of the song 'Gold' that "It's great when you can just throw four chords together and everything just fits and feels good" - just throw a few chords together? When I started listening to Sharks that wasn't what this band was about - it was about the craft, the artistry and inventive but meaningful lyrics, harking back to an age when songwriting wasn't done on the fly because the label demanded a quick release.

As far as I'm concerned the whole record sounds as if it was written in the back of a van on the way to the studio.

The fact I've paid $50 (Or whatever it was) for the bundle pack doesn't really bother me, because lets be honest, who wouldn't off the back of a record like 'No Gods'? What does bother me though is I fear one of my favorite bands are probably about to fall off the cliff into the sea of very average punk rock guitar bands, who each somehow managed to lose or forget their identity.

There is perhaps one, or maybe two, decent songs on the record, and even then 'Sunday's Hand' and 'My Wild One' aren't a patch on anything Sharks have ever released before.

I don't mean to be the bearer of such pessimism, but, if Selfhood is anything to go by, I don't know whether these lads have much left in the tank - one more album I'd say.
Back to top Go down
Jagveer ///
It All Relates
It All Relates
Jagveer ///

PostSubject: Re: 'Selfhood' (your reviews/comments/reactions)   'Selfhood' (your reviews/comments/reactions) Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 11:54 am

Hi, welcome to the forum! I've got nothing against your opinion, and I'm sure others feel the same way, but have you given it a few listens or just one?

I felt similar to you at first, but the songs have quickly grown on me after having the whole thing on repeat a few times. I feel it's at the same level as No Gods, personally.

Do you think this one could perhaps be more of a grower? Maybe you could bump it up to 5/10? Razz

Also, though I do disagree with you, it may be a good idea to post this elsewhere too, quite honest and well written, nothing wrong with that. But definitely try and give it some time and try again!
Back to top Go down
Christophe
Trains
Trains

PostSubject: Re: 'Selfhood' (your reviews/comments/reactions)   'Selfhood' (your reviews/comments/reactions) Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 7:27 pm

To an extent I agree. I have only listened to Selfhood once all the way through and I must say I too am pretty disappointed. I think it does sound rushed with many tracks blending into one another.

No Gods was such a great (almost flawless imo) album that a follow up was always going to be difficult but I just feel that their decision to get a follow up out as quickly as possible has backfired. I can't stand the production of Selfhood. In pretty much every song you have to really strain to hear the vocals and in some songs I can't make out much lyrically which as was pointed out by mattlee has always been a strong part of the band's make up and identity. I can't help thinking that with better, clearer production, I would warm to some of the songs a lot more. Selfhood just appears to lack songs with real structure and there are very few catchy hooks like there were with No Gods.

It's not awful though there are tracks I like but to me there are only two that really stand out and those are I Won't Taint and The More You Ask Me...

This album definitely feels like a regression to me and I just hope they spend more time writing and recording their next album. I really hope they can get a bigger producer on board for the next record to really bring out their potential because as they proved with No Gods they have so much.

Hopefully this is just a blip.
Back to top Go down
museums
It All Relates
It All Relates
museums

PostSubject: Re: 'Selfhood' (your reviews/comments/reactions)   'Selfhood' (your reviews/comments/reactions) Icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 8:16 am

'Selfhood' is my kind of album and it's exactly what I was hoping for, so it's a 10/10.

I must admit that I didn't rely on the album stream to come to that judgment and that I've probably listened to the album right through a good ten times by now. Hence, if you have problems with the mix, for example, wait for the real deal. I loved 'No Gods', but had issues with its American production twang (if I can put it that way), which was especially strong on the opening track and made it sound like generic pop punk. On 'Selfhood' though, the production is just as it should be. I especially like the drums on this one, as Sam get's to shine like never before, and James' vocals are much rawer.

I am also happy to say that I have followed Sharks since just before the release of 'Show of Hands', so I like old Sharks as much as any fan, and 'Selfhood' is as good as anything they've ever done. This is The Clash meets The Smiths meets Mattock and Bayliss, and that's more than fine with me.

As for the songs, there isn't a filler in sight. Stand out tracks for now are 'Gold', 'Room with a Grey View', '22', and 'Pale', and ... you see, it's hard to pick. The closer too is a really impressive track. The whole thing hangs together really well. Andy's melodies are as good as ever, and I really think James is a fine song writer.

If it isn't your kind of album, so be it, but speaking as a long-term, hardcore Sharks fan, this album is as Sharkish as they come.
Back to top Go down
orwellaintdead
It All Relates
It All Relates
orwellaintdead

PostSubject: Re: 'Selfhood' (your reviews/comments/reactions)   'Selfhood' (your reviews/comments/reactions) Icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 12:08 pm

I think the album is great. Have liked Sharks for a couple years now. I think it is true to their sound. And I love it. Can't wait to hear some of these songs live, particularly the more you ask.., my wild ones, and all of them really. 2 thumbs up from me.
Back to top Go down
Tim Az
Trains
Trains

PostSubject: Selfhood review   'Selfhood' (your reviews/comments/reactions) Icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 4:31 pm

Since discovering this band in 2009 they have seemed to rock less and less with each new release. After listening to Selfhood and few times and really being unmoved. I fear the next release could be the one that puts me to sleep. Yawn...
Back to top Go down
Christophe
Trains
Trains

PostSubject: Re: 'Selfhood' (your reviews/comments/reactions)   'Selfhood' (your reviews/comments/reactions) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 2:42 pm

Amazing what a couple more listens can do. I am definitely warming to Selfhood. It is still a lot more understated than No Gods to me but the songs are still pretty solid.

My Wild One reminds me of Turn To You quite a lot. I think Sharks are following a similar template to my favourite band The Gaslight Anthem. As I really see The Joys of Living as their 'debut' I link this to Gaslight's first album Sink or Swim. Quite fast and punky with some real special tracks it showed how much potential had at that time. Then came in my opinion Gaslight's masterpiece 2nd album The '59 Sound. It was an instant classic with every track being a great song. I feel the same about Sharks' No Gods. I just think everything came together perfectly with this album and again from start to finish it is just a joy to listen to. I'm hoping I will be proved wrong but I wonder if Sharks will ever top No Gods as with Gaslight and The '59 Sound (Handwritten is a very close second). Those two albums are just that good to me. Then came Gaslight's 3rd album American Slang. I liked it but it was more of a grower than an instant classic like The'59 Sound. It was a different sound and took a bit of adjusting to. I think this is exactly how I feel about Selfhood. I wasn't initially a big fan of the production because it is so different to No Gods, but I'm getting used to it. There are some really strong songs on Selfhood and a few will undoubtedly become crowd favourites. If Sharks produce a follow up to Selfhood as good as Gaslight's Handwritten to American Slang it could well be right up there with No Gods.

At the moment my ranking of the songs on Selfhood goes:

1. The More You Ask Me...
2. I Won't Taint
3. 22
4. Gold
5. My Wild One
6. Sunday's Hand
7. Your Bloody Wings
8. Room With A Grey View
9. Selfhood
10. Portland
11. Pale
Back to top Go down
mattlee345
Trains
Trains

PostSubject: Re: 'Selfhood' (your reviews/comments/reactions)   'Selfhood' (your reviews/comments/reactions) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 3:52 pm

I have to say, in response to what everyone has said within this thread, having listened to the album religiously for the past 3/4 days, it has really grown on me!

Remarkable what a few days can do!

I'm yet to be entirely convinced by it but completely accept my earlier judgement was probably a bit harsh on the lads, just waiting for my bundle to come through, then I'll get it playing out on my sound system and hopefully it will continue to get better and better.

I do maintain, however, that Portland is the worst Sharks song they've ever produced - bloody terrible.

In the meantime, I'm looking forward to going to see them in Nottingham on the 4th, should be good.
Back to top Go down
tomlobban
It All Relates
It All Relates
tomlobban

PostSubject: Re: 'Selfhood' (your reviews/comments/reactions)   'Selfhood' (your reviews/comments/reactions) Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 11:05 am

I wasn't too excited leading up to the album, the singles didn't really do much for me, and on first listen i was pretty disappointed, but after a few listens I've really got into it. My favourites are Gold, The More You Ask.., Your Bloody Wings and Selfhood.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/tom.lobban
Christophe
Trains
Trains

PostSubject: Re: 'Selfhood' (your reviews/comments/reactions)   'Selfhood' (your reviews/comments/reactions) Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 4:55 pm

tomlobban wrote:
I wasn't too excited leading up to the album, the singles didn't really do much for me, and on first listen i was pretty disappointed, but after a few listens I've really got into it. My favourites are Gold, The More You Ask.., Your Bloody Wings and Selfhood.

I feel exactly the same. It's amazing just how much I'm loving the album now. I think the fact that it was quite different than No Gods songwise and prouction wise threw me a bit at first. But now I've just accepted it on its own merits and it is pretty special. This band just makes music that makes me happy to be alive. I am so grateful for discovering this band Smile
Back to top Go down
Jagveer ///
It All Relates
It All Relates
Jagveer ///

PostSubject: Re: 'Selfhood' (your reviews/comments/reactions)   'Selfhood' (your reviews/comments/reactions) Icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2013 2:09 pm

I've made a bit of a lengthy review, it's here if anyone wants to see:

http://applerotten.tumblr.com/post/49090110470

Gave it an 8/10
Back to top Go down
Christophe
Trains
Trains

PostSubject: Re: 'Selfhood' (your reviews/comments/reactions)   'Selfhood' (your reviews/comments/reactions) Icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2013 3:34 pm

Jagveer /// wrote:

Gave it an 8/10

Great review mate. Really enjoyed reading it and concur with majority of what you put Smile
Back to top Go down
Jagveer ///
It All Relates
It All Relates
Jagveer ///

PostSubject: Re: 'Selfhood' (your reviews/comments/reactions)   'Selfhood' (your reviews/comments/reactions) Icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2013 6:03 pm

Christophe wrote:
Jagveer /// wrote:

Gave it an 8/10

Great review mate. Really enjoyed reading it and concur with majority of what you put Smile

Thank you! That all comes from letting it grow on me though, I hope others give it a chance too, rather than dismiss it right away
Back to top Go down
Christophe
Trains
Trains

PostSubject: Re: 'Selfhood' (your reviews/comments/reactions)   'Selfhood' (your reviews/comments/reactions) Icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2013 7:21 pm

Jagveer /// wrote:
Christophe wrote:
Jagveer /// wrote:

Gave it an 8/10

Thank you! That all comes from letting it grow on me though, I hope others give it a chance too, rather than dismiss it right away

Yep I was the same. First listen I was completely unmoved but then it just clicked after two or three more listens. I love the album now and I'm certain that Sharks are completely on the right path. As I said previously their music just makes me happy to be alive. It's great music to play when you feel down to pick you back up again. The outro of Gold is just pure ecstasy for me. I think it's quite remarkable how good Selfhood is considering how quickly they wrote the album. Already can't wait for their next album! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
tomlobban
It All Relates
It All Relates
tomlobban

PostSubject: Re: 'Selfhood' (your reviews/comments/reactions)   'Selfhood' (your reviews/comments/reactions) Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 4:59 pm

Quote :
The outro of Gold is just pure ecstasy for me

I really like the Radiohead-style guitar line towards the end of Pale
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/tom.lobban
museums
It All Relates
It All Relates
museums

PostSubject: Re: 'Selfhood' (your reviews/comments/reactions)   'Selfhood' (your reviews/comments/reactions) Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 7:18 pm

I'm sure glad you chaps are starting to see the light. Idea
Back to top Go down
Chappers_8
Trains
Trains
Chappers_8

PostSubject: Re: 'Selfhood' (your reviews/comments/reactions)   'Selfhood' (your reviews/comments/reactions) Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 10:18 am

I'd throw myself in the category of being "a massive Sharks fan" and I have to say this album has been played religiously since it arrived yesterday.

I really like it, the more I listen, the more I like!

The ending part in 22 is amazing, I love that riff!

Was very keen on Portland when it first surfaced and that still ranks quite high for me on the album along with 22 and My Wild One which was a welcome surprise to end the album!

Back to top Go down
Christophe
Trains
Trains

PostSubject: Re: 'Selfhood' (your reviews/comments/reactions)   'Selfhood' (your reviews/comments/reactions) Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 11:28 am

Gold is officially my new favourite Sharks song now. Cannot believe I didn't really like it after my first listen!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'Selfhood' (your reviews/comments/reactions)   'Selfhood' (your reviews/comments/reactions) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

'Selfhood' (your reviews/comments/reactions)
Page 1 of 1